Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rock-Ola 468 : The Temptations : My Girl

Rock-Ola 468 : The Temptations : My Girl Video Clips. Duration : 4.53 Mins.


I keep this in my summer house at the bottom of our garden. I've had it since April 2009. I would have being "pushing it" had I suggested to my wife that it joined my "leccy" piano and two saxophones in our house. I've filled it with Motown, classic 50s/60s pop, doo-wop and a few "standards." A 1977 jukebox, of which nearly 4000 were manufactured. The style was promoted by Rock-Ola as; "Accent on Elegance." These were for more "up-market" locations, posh pubs and hotel lounges. The "visible mechanism" machines situated in cafés, bars and coffee bars were at the end of the 60s, going out of favour with the operators. as the later machines were able to offer more and more selections, (this one has 160), they were running out of space for the titles cards. Paddles and rollers to show the music choices were used on some jukeboxes with visible mechanisms to get over this, but that required the "involvement" of potential customers. The locations were in the business of selling music, not showing people how it was played, (everyone had a record player) so the space in the front of the machines covered by the "dome glass" as they were once and so originally described and still called that although now flat, was used to show the total availability of the records at one glance, the mechanics now situated behind, or below the lists of selections. I think this one had a very sheltered life as it is in excellent condition. The mechanism is almost silent during selection and there's no ...

Keywords: Rock-Ola, 468, Grand, Salon, jukebox.

No comments:

Post a Comment